I've never been a morning person. Sure, I get up and get dressed when the alarm goes off because, like most people, I have to get to work on time or risk losing my job. But if I'm being honest, I'd much rather start my day after noon, so I can sleep in, sip coffee, and pet my cat.
Apparently, my desire to sleep in every day is going to set me up for failure! Forbes put together a list of 5 habits that super successful people all do...BEFORE 8AM! According to the article, lots of successful people have these 5 things in common, whether they're CEOs, inventors, business owners, entertainers, politicians, or anything else you can imagine.
1) Exercise. Get active and get the blood flowing first thing in the morning, and you'll set yourself up for a great day. Plus, staying in shape not only makes you look good, but you'll feel better mentally and physically. And doing it before work gives you a boost of energy to get thru the rest of the day (endorphins, people!).
2) Eat a healthy breakfast. How many of us run out the door at the last minute with a cup of coffee in our hands? Skipping breakfast ruins your metabolism, AND doesn't allow your body to fuel up with the right amount of energy you need to stay alert during the day. Get up a couple minutes earlier, and eat something! Or, prepare an on-the-go breakfast the night before that you can grab on your way out the door.
3) Plan your day. Make a to-do list, and cross things off as you go. I know it sounds silly, but seeing the list get crossed off will actually motivate you to get more done! Yay, accomplishment!(ps--don't forget to schedule a lunch break!)
4) Visualization. It might sound silly, but try to mentally envision your day, and imagine yourself being successful in everything you do. Positive thinking can change your outlook, attitude, and the way you interact with people.
5) Do the hard stuff first. We've all been tempted to push a big project or difficult task to the bottom of the list, but procrastination will only make it more stressful. Get the hard stuff out of the way early, and you'll have the rest of your day (or week, or whatever) to tie up any loose ends. Doing this will make your day get easier as you go along, rather than harder!
Now, go forth and conquer!